Monday, March 1, 2010

Refrigerator Door Series Part One: Disappearing Refrigerators

Welcome to my refrigerator series. This series will consist of several posts showing options for the kitchen door design and the placement of refrigerators in a kitchen.

Part One- Disappearing Refrigerators

Depending on the style of your kitchen and your personal taste regarding the look of a refrigerator, you have the option of making it appear to disappear. Today’s design and the cabinet maker’s work in creating niches for kitchen refrigerators amazes me. I am a huge fan of  master carpenters and what they create. As you will see in the photos below, refrigerators really can disappear.  Enjoy!

IMG_0010

Source: Kitchens a book by Chris Casson Madden

^As I look at the photo above, my first inclination is that I would expect to find a pantry or broom closet behind the doors.  I certainly did not think there would be a side-by-side refrigerator behind the cabinet doors as shown below.

IMG_0011

Source: Kitchens a book by Chris Casson Madden

IMG_0007

Source: Beautiful Kitchens Magazine Winter 2009

^The words on the magazine page above states, “Hide and Chic” which appropriately describes this refrigerator door and drawers. I find this to be an incredible design for hiding a side-by-side refrigerator. What do you think? Isn’t the design covering the refrigerator drawers really cool ! The design also allows for ventilation at the bottom.

IMG_0016

Source: Beautiful Kitchens Magazine Winter 2009

^At first glance, what appears to be an armoire that most likely has a TV inside is actually a side-by-side refrigerator with drawers below.

IMG_0024

Source: Beautiful Kitchens Magazine Winter 2009

^Who would have thought behind these mirrored cabinet doors you would find a refrigerator and a freezer with refrigerator drawers below?

IMG_0021

Source: Veranda Magazine October 2008

The refrigerators and refrigerator drawers that flank the cooking area above blend with the cabinets. I like the big beam running above the refrigerators and stove.

IMG_0023 

Source: Beautiful Kitchens Magazine Winter 2009

^To the far right of the kitchen sink is a side-by-side refrigerator designed to look like a piece of furniture. The height of the ceiling allows for a pair of cabinet doors and an open shelf above. I find the the pair of china cabinets flanking the sink counter area very attractive.

Part Two of this series will show different designs for single refrigerator doors. Please check back.  Blessings.  …susan

8 comments:

Design Esquire said...

Oooh, I love these images! I can't wait to see more.

MissCaron said...

My mother has always been one to try and hide the fridge ... but I actually love the idea of showcasing pictures and drawings and magnets (tastefully of course) so I don't think I could ever cover it with a cabinet.

The House That A-M Built said...

Oh these are magnificent images... masterful cabinetry. I can't stand the look of a refrigerator in a beautiful kitchen. The best I could do is stick mine in the butlers pantry to get mine out of sight. A-M xx

Linda@ Lime in the Coconut said...

Wow some of those are truly amazing! You would NEVER find it even if you were looking!

Shannon said...

Hmmm, I really do love the idea of a hidden fridge. And the ones you have pictured are truly hidden. I would have a hard time finding the fridge myself. But with that being said, I really don't think refrigerators are all that ugly and need to be hidden. Just my opinion.

kate said...

magnificent. The door just looks like a cabinet door.

Things That Inspire said...

Beautiful images, and great post! Lots of subzero 27" side by sides. Those used to be really popular in Atlanta until the economy tanked! Now, people are doing one big fridge more often.

Things That Inspire said...

PS - it would be great to go back to these posts at the end of the series and link to the other parts...I am entering this in my list of best posts of 2010!