Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spiritual & Inspirational Sunday March 14, 2010

Welcome to my inspirational & spiritual Sunday post.  For over twenty-five years I have collected various spiritual and inspirational quotes and messages. My hope is that when you read these, you will pause and reflect. Perhaps you will share this post with a friend who just so happens to be in need of reading what I am sharing today.

My post today comes from a book marker I received a few years ago. Although the message on the bookmark was intended for those attending Al Anon- which by the way is the sister organization to AA (alcoholics anonymous), the message is one that can be applied by all as a healthy way to live life.  In case you have not heard of  Al Anon, it  is for people who have been affected by another person’s drinking. The other person could be a spouse, child, sister, brother, parent, friend, or boss. Like AA, Al Anon meetings can be found in many towns and cities throughout the U.S. and around the world.

Just For Today

Just for today I will live through this day only, and not set far-reaching goals to try to overcome all of my problems at once. I know I can do something for 24 hours that would appall me if I thought I had to keep it up for a lifetime. Isn’t life about living in the moment? I know I have been guilty of not enjoying the present because I was too preoccupied with something in the future. Often that something I worried about never came to pass.

Just for today I will be happy. Abraham Lincoln said, “Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be.” He was right. I will not dwell on thoughts that depress me. I will chase them out of my mind and replace them with happy thoughts. Bottom line- we can control what we think. It may take effort, but we can do it.

Just for today I will adjust myself to what is. I will face reality.  I will correct those things that I can correct and accept those things I cannot correct.  This one makes me think of the Serenity Prayer: “God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.”

Just for today I will improve my mind. I will not be a mental loafer. I will force myself to read something that requires effort, thought, and concentration. Just like our bodies needing a work out, so do our minds.

Just for today I will do something positive to improve my health. If I’m a smoker, I’ll make an honest effort to quit. It I’m overweight, I’ll eat nothing I know to be fattening. And I will force myself to exercise- even if it’s only walking around the block or using the stairs instead of the elevator. I would add parking further out in a parking lot. It begins with desire, then taking action towards that desire no matter how small the steps-then repeating that action over and over until it becomes a part of your daily routine. Another tip is each day to consciously say no to something that is not healthy and yes to  something that is healthy.

Just for today I’ll do something I’ve been putting off for a long time.  I’ll finally write that letter, make that phone call, clean that closet, or straighten out those dresser drawers. It is amazing how good it feels to do something you have put off for a long time. And the bonus- you get to scratch it off your “to do” list! 

Just for today before I speak I will ask myself, “Is it true? Is it kind? and if the answer to either of those questions is negative I won’t say it. What a great way to live life!

Just for today I will make a conscious effort to be agreeable.  I will look as good as I can, dress becomingly, talk softly, act courteously, and not interrupt when someone else is talking. Just for today I’ll not try to improve anybody except myself.  This one is all about keeping your side of the street clean and letting others clean their side. Stay out of other people’s business unless they ask for your help.

Just for today I will have a program. I may not follow it exactly, but I will have it, thereby saving myself from two pests: hurry and indecision. You can create an exercise program, a nutrition program, a mind stimulating program or just follow the words on this bookmark. You can add, edit, or delete what is written and personalize it for you. The object is to live life in a healthier way.

Just for today I will gather the courage to do what is right and take the responsibility for my own actions. Let go of someone else’s actions. You are only responsible for your own. However, you are responsible for how you allow another person’s actions to affect you. Be responsible, have integrity, and be honest.

I would love to hear from you in a comment.

Blessings. …susan

1 comments:

DesignTies said...

These are great words of wisdom for anyone :-)

I can totally relate to "do something that I've been putting off"!! I wrote up a long to-do list on Friday, and I'm happy to say that there are only four things left on it :-) A to-do list can really kick-start you into getting stuff done!!

Kelly