Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Staircase Railing Part Three: Wooden railing and handrail

Welcome! Are you ready to see more staircases?

If you are building your dream home, remodeling an existing home, adding on to an existing home, or just dreaming about your dream home, the photos provided in my staircase railing series will help you see the many design, materials, and styles that are available. These will serve as good talking points when you meet with your architect, interior designer and builder.

So far in my series on staircase railings, I have shown you photos of iron railings with an iron handrail and iron railings with a wooden handrail. Now you will see wooden railings with wooden handrails.

Wooden staircase railing with wooden handrails gives you the ability to paint them any color, use a faux paint finish, or stain the wood. The railing and the handrail can be of the same paint color or finish or it can be different. Whatever works with your interior design scheme can be applied.

Besides the paint or type finish used, you also have a wide range of choices for the shape of the spindles or balusters. Perhaps you like a simple round spindle as shown in photo 1, 5 & 13 or a square spindle in photos 7 & 9.   The spindles can also be placed on a lathe and turned creating a custom design as shown in photos 2, 4, 8 & 10.  Yet another choice is a custom cutout in photos 3, 6, 11 & 12.

As you can see there is a multitude of options for you to consider in creating the perfect look for your home.  Please enjoy yourself as you scroll down. 

IMG_0016

1^IMG_0015

2^

Beautiful Homes Winter 2005

IMG_0009

3^

IMG_0179

4^

IMG_0010

   5^

IMG_0012

6^

IMG_0013

7^

IMG_0007

8^

IMG_0008

9^

IMG_0227

10^

IMG_0014

11^

IMG_0181

12^

IMG_0003

13^

So, please tell me in a comment which of the photos shown in this post is your favorite using the number shown below each photo.  Also, if your taste runs toward an iron staircase railing with an iron handrail, an iron staircase railing with a wooden handrail, or a wooden staircase railing with a wooden handle.  I would love to hear from you! 

BTW: I hope you enjoyed the napa cabbage salad.  If you have tried it, let me know what you think!   Blessings.  …susan

The source of many of the photos shown above is unknown. If you know the source, please contact me and I will add it or delete the photo if necessary.

14 comments:

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

Thank you for the great post! I'm currently deciding what to paint and what to leave alone on our staircase and this was a great inspiration.
~Michelle

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

The newer styles are leaning toward the iron railings, but I am in love with a great wood! The turned/twisted rails are my true favorite. The gnarlier the better! The photo of the cabin also captures my heart, anything cozy and rustic works for me.

~Misti

studioJudith said...

My goodness -- - with this comprehensive staircase post , why wait for your report on your neighbor?
This is great - you really did your homework.

I'll look forward to stopping by again - thanks for your thoughtful comment!

Judith

Linda Merrill said...

My favorite is #6 - love that style!

DesignTies said...

I'm drawn to railings #7, #11, and #12.

#7 because it's graphic and cool. It makes me think of a skyscraper.

#11 because I love the texture and colour of the wood. Chunky & solid structure, but soft colour and lines.

#12 because I love circles!! This is one of the most unique railings I've ever seen. The wood is gorgeous -- love the wainscoting too :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

kathleen said...

Staircase 5 is my favorite. But, it could be the green that it is painted!

Anonymous said...

WOW. Nothing like a nice beautiful wooden staircase! I especially like the look of all wood in old homes. Of course, I only like the natural wood ... not anything painted really. :)

Vicki said...

Here is my run down. I am totally into the details because I'm planning my own house to build in a few years. I LOVE looking through your web site.

#8 Grabs me. The contrast of the light walls and the dark wood make it homey and comforting at the same time not stuffy. I also like the red rug contrast of the green walls. (I have this in my house now. )

11 The bulklyness of the wood is charming to me. It's simple but I think the railings would be a pain to clean. ha!

13 Caught me the most. I like that the walkway crosses over the living room looking down. Also that the fireplace rises up through the walkway.

I would combine 13 fireplace and 8 coloring of wood and paint for the perfect combo.

Thanks for posting!

GrannySmithGreen said...

Oh, gee! I have to choose!? 4, 7 and 12 are calling my name. I think 4 would be the closest to an actual interior that I would pick for myself. What about you?

Anonymous said...

Ooh! Those are awesome! Spacify offers Console Table and more at reasonable prices.

Design Esquire said...

What beautiful pictures to illustrate your points. I'm getting ready to paint my stairs in my old colonial (currently all the woodwork is unpainted), and I love all the ideas from this post.

bondgirl said...

#4 is intriguing, isn't it?

I have #1 and am in the process of updating it now. I love it and am preserving the look. I'm taking the carpet off--I have carpeted back stairs that we use most often, so it will be pretty to show off the wood.

The funny thing? Metal is less expensive and easier to work with, so no one wants to do the job! Everyone keeps handing me the metal books, and suggesting that I go with metal, on my super-traditional home! Apparently there are only a couple places in town that still do quality wood banisters.

Next project--can you do balcony railings? Mine weren't to code and I'm having to redo those, too.

www.avenuemonaco.com for my Money Pit.

Anonymous said...

One of the things often left out when considering your dream house is safety. Did you notice how the railing system looks very well fabricated to guard someone from falling?

Anonymous said...

I love the color in #1. I'm currently redoing my staircase and wondering what color is that? Should I paint or stain? I have a dark walnut stain but I'm not sold on it.